I'm struggling with feelings of failure...yet in my heart I know I did the right thing. Alissa has been without a binky for a week now. The week started out as any typical person would expect- extra night time cuddling, and some night time crying. The first night was typical...a 1/2 hour of crying. But she made it and slept through the night. Day 2 her nap...only about 15 or so minutes and then for bed the 2nd night...silence. Not a peep. But, from there- things got progresivly worse. I would have to pretend to fall asleep in her rocking chair to get her to settle down and relax. Then she would wake up in the night crying and wouldn't go back to sleep. One time this last week she wouldn't stop screaming at 2:30am so I brought her in our bed to sleep. Habits were beginning to form that had NEVER been there before..and needless to say they weren't good habits. The list kept getting bigger and she became more troublesome and unhappy. I had been struggling with the idea of giving her back her binky but I didn't know if it would be good to do so.
Last night, after talking with my mother in law, I decided to give it back to her. She slept so soundly and peacefully. My decision was weighed on this...Alissa has had super smooth transitions into doing everything. When it was time to go from the bottle to a cup..that was no big deal to her. That transition happened in one afternoon and she never looked back. When I weaned her from nursing (at 18 months), that happened in one weekend and she was completely okay with it. She totally forgot about it. The only major transition I had a "problem" with was having her go to sleep on her own. That took 2 nights of crying. But, by night 3...all was quiet and has been ever since. Taking the binky away just didn't seem right...nor did it feel right in my gut. She doesn't carry it around with her all day. it's just strictly for nap and bed time.
For the last week, Alissa has been crying when she wakes up. Her moods during the day are terrible. This morning...she was a totally different child. She woke up talkign to herself (as ususal) and all smiles. This is the girl I know.
I feel like I failed at a task..but I just don't think she's ready. My gut says this is okay.
My husband brought up some valid points... She's almost potty trained (we're in pull ups full time), she knows 80% of her ABC's and is starting to recognize them on paper, she knows how to count to 2, knows what 2 really means and how many they are, and knows that 7,8,9 go together in counting order. He said don't feel bad if this is taking her a bit longer because no two kids are the same.
I do understand and I agree...just hard struggling with the inner feelings...
3 comments:
It's never the wrong thing to follow your mommy instincts! You know what your child needs! Rock on, mama!
its ok!!! you are a great mom and you really are the only one who can read that little girl right...you're doing great...and at one point she will be ready!
aww thanks ladies! She is doing MUCH better. My little girl is back. We have tried nap time and so far it seems as though she doesn't need a binky for nap time. So we're taking it one step at a time....
Post a Comment